Тениски в akulataflyfishing.com

Бръмбари в akulataflyfishing.com

Сухи мухи в akulataflyfishing.com

Силикони в akulataflyfishing.com

Akulata.com - Fly Fishing In Bulgaria

Форумът за мухарски риболов в България
Дата и час: Пет Мар 29, 2024 1:16 am

Часовете са според зоната UTC + 2 часа

Напиши нова тема Темата е заключена, не можете да променяте мнения.  [ 2 мнения ] 
Автор Съобщение
 Заглавие: Interviews with flyanglers!
МнениеПубликувано на: Нед Юни 05, 2005 6:58 pm 
Forum Admin
Аватар

Hi, everybody!
In this topic I would like to post some interviews with flyanglers from all the world. My guests are very kind to share some information for the flyfishing and flytying.

I am honoured to represent to you Graham Owen

Изображение

When did you start to fly fish and how?

Ever since childhood I have been fascinated with aquatic creatures and when visiting a body of water I always wonder what lives in it. I’m not sure if this desire is genetic or because I almost died at the age of 5 when stung by a Portuguese Man of War jelly fish off the coast of Malaysia. I do know that I have a strong primal urge to know what swims beneath the waters surface. For me, fishing is the easiest way to explore and satisfy my curiosity and fascination,n and for many years this was accomplished with conventional tackle and bait. Because fish is not one of my favorite meats to eat I often released my catch including stomach hooked fish enticed with bait. I knew there had to be a better way and I was introduced to fly fishing when visiting a friend across country. We caught smallmouth bass from limestone creeks which was extremely enjoyable and memorable and all of the fish were released unharmed. I was hooked.

What are the conditions of flyfishing in your place?

I’m not sure if “my place” is Los Angeles or the entire state of California. The Los Angeles River, which had steelhead runs over a century ago, is now cement lined storm drainage channel that most likely contains more toxins than life. About a 1 hour drive from home are mountain streams that support wild populations of trout which do not grow large but are magnificently beautiful with multi colored spots and unusually large pretty eyes. It is typically a steep hike in dangerous terrain to reach these fish because easily accessible places are raped by those who cast nets or pour bottles of bleach into the water to take buckets of food home. My favorite place to fish in California is the Eastern Sierra, about 6 to 7 hours drive from L.A. and to me this is paradise. Occasionally I fly fish for surf perch and halibut close to home along the local beaches but I prefer greener surroundings.

Which fish species do you flyfish?

My favorite fish to catch is brown trout and more specifically large brown trout. Brook trout is also at the top of my list regardless of size, they are just such wild and beautiful creatures to look at. The list of species I fly fish for is quite long and includes bass, pike, musky, tuna, dorado, etc, both fresh and salt water.

What is the equipment you use for flyfishing – for the rod, reel and line/firms, marks?

This question is tough because I don’t want to sound obsessed or spoiled, because I have about 30 fly rods and about the same number of reels, with the lightest being a Winston 2 wt, that is a dream to cast, all the way up to a custom wrapped G Loomis 12 wt for fishing for tuna and dorado in Mexico. My favorite and most used fly rod is a 9 foot 6 weight G Loomis GLX and I have 10 Lamson 2 reels for my 6 wt’s spooled with different lines ready for different species and conditions. In the past few years I fish with sinking lines more than floating fly lines. Once a year I take a trip to western New York to fish for huge brown trout and there I fish with a 9 1/2’ GLX matched with a Teeny T-200 sinking line, 4 foot leader and three feet of ten pound fluorocarbon tippet.

Where do you prefer go flyfishing, to rivers or to a lakes, ponds?

My favorite fishing location is Bridgeport California which has lakes, rivers and ponds. One of my favorites to visit is Kirman Lake which is full of huge Brook trout most in the one to four pound size including some that are much larger. Reaching Kirman Lake is a chore, especially carrying a float tube and fly gear up steep hills for a few miles at an elevation of 8,000 feet, but once there, just floating around in an alpine setting catching big brookies is hard to beat.

Изображение

Other places to fish around Bridgeport include the East Walker river with has many nice trout including browns over 10 pounds, upper and lower Twin Lakes that both have brown trout over 25 pounds. It’s hard to decide which I prefer and usually it is the weather conditions that make my decision for me.

Which types of flies/dries, nymphs…/ do you use when fishing?

Изображение

When fishing Kirman Lake I fish scuds about two feet behind a glass-bead body wooly bugger. I think the bugger gets the fish’s attention and then the scud goes by and it is usually the fly that gets the fish. When fishing the E. Walker River I mostly nymph fish with caddis, mayfly and stonefly patterns. For dry fly fishing it’s hard to beat a black or tan elk haired caddis. I carry a lot of flies and sometimes it takes a couple hours to figure out which fly works best.

You make some of the most amazing realistic flies, I’ve ever seen. What made you begin tying realistic flies, and which are your favorite?

Изображение

Over the years the waters in the Sierra Mountains have become more crowded with fly fisherman and many of the fish have been caught before and have become more wary and educated as time goes by. I remember one trip where I became increasingly frustrated knowing the fish were there, feeding, but nothing touched my flies.
This river is fly fishing only water, but, one day someone showed up with a basket of crickets and started catching fish, until he was chased off by angry fly fishers. On the long drive home I decided to learn to tie flies that looked like real insects and I ended up buying the book Fly Tyers Masterclass by Oliver Edwards. Another trip I will never forget was returning to my favorite stretch of the same river and watched a group of men in their 60’s fly fishing. They were having fun but were not hooking any fish. A short while later the men moved up stream, I waded out and began casting my realistic golden stoneflies, luckily hooking many nice fish. I was very surprised when two men came back and said “Sir, can you show me what fly you are using?”

Изображение

It was the first time an older man called me Sir, and I felt proud when they called they friends over saying “you just have to see this guy’s box of flies, they are incredible”. This was about ten years ago and since then I have continued to try and learn new techniques and materials to make flies that look more realistic.

Изображение

It is only in the last six months that I have been trying to tye ultra-realistic flies. They often have legs that are stiff, look very real, but are more suited for display than fishing. For realistic fishing flies I just love partridge and guineas for legs, which allow for much more movement when compared to more realistic stiffer materials and I would have to say my favorite is stoneflies.

Can you compare them with the other not realistic flies in the efficiency?

This is a very good question, when determining efficiency the time it takes to catch a fish must be compared to the time it takes to tie the fly. I am happiest with the most efficient means possible, which means easily catching fish with flies that take less than two minutes to tie.

Изображение

I typically only fish my time consuming realistic flies when the others are not productive enough. I typically carry three or four fly boxes and only one contains realistics and I am most pleased to complete a great trip without opening the realistic box. Just having them with me gives me more confidence.

What do you know about the flyfishing in Bulgaria?

Only what I have learned from Rado. The flies look small, buggy and precisely tied, by skillful hands and passionate minds. The fish also look small, beautiful and wild and the countryside looks scenic and inviting. I have a feeling the fishing is very challenging and the locals have honed their skills enough to make fly fishing productive and enjoyable.

Which are your favorite flyfishing/tying/ sites in the Internet?

It was about a year ago that I became aware of fly fishing and tying forums such as the Akulata web site. I joined one web site called the Fly Tying Forum and the personal interaction has fed my passion much more than static websites where one just reads and looks at pictures. I have made many new friends, such as Rado, and look forward to interacting and communicating at night, after work. I also like a website for realistic tiers called Hatchmasters, a Canadian website which is also very friendly and informative. These are the three I typically enjoy daily, and even though I do not understand Bulgarian writing, I just love looking at the pictures, especially the flies and groups of tiers drinking and tying together.

Do you share the idea for catch and release?

Yes, absolutely. I like to briefly hold and admire the fish I catch, occasionally thank them for being cooperative, and carefully release them to continue on with their lives. The numbers of catch and release fisherman is growing, we collectively pay for fishing licenses that allow funding for river restoration and fish management resulting in better conditions for fish and continually increasing fish numbers and the insects they eat. Plus, when you let them go they will be bigger next time.

What is for you the flyfishing and what make it differs from the other type of fishing?

Fly Fishing is a sport that is fun, fish can be caught and released unharmed, and my hands and clothing do not small like bait. I get tremendous satisfaction catching fish with flies I tyed, much more so than with any other method. When I see someone sitting on a chair along side a river or lake, holding a beer, with a rod in a holder, this seems to me more like waiting than fishing.

Изображение

I often fish from sunrise until sunset, casting all day, knowing that the fish will turn on and off several times, and that I will be there when the feeding begins, and not a moment will be lost.

What would you like to say to those who are just about to begin flyfishing?

There is a lot of history and tradition in the sport of fly fishing and it is worthwhile to learn and understand. There are also a lot of rules when it comes to fly tying and fishing and these should be understood. With that said, it needs to be fun to be enjoyable, bending rules and tradition should also be experimented with. I would suggest that keeping a log book or diary is valuable.

Изображение

Before beginning fishing I examine the bugs living under the rocks in the water to see what the fish are most likely eating, take notes of species, size, color, date, time, water flow, weather conditions, moon phase etc. As the years go by you will have a very good idea what will work best when you return to these waters. One of the so called rules is a drag free dead drift, a rule I like to break. When fishing nymphs on the bottom I often fish a heavy sinking line or put weight on my leader, and like to drift slowly along the bottom, slower than the current. When fishing for migrating fish the drift speed is even less important and over the years I have hooked large fish when my fly was just hanging still in the current while I was eating or doing something else. If the fish are not biting, experiment and try new things, because some of my biggest fish were caught with unconventional tactics. Go fishing with friends, make new friends on the water because you will feed each others passion the experiences and memories will be good ones

Special thanks to Graham Owen for the interview he gave me and best regards!

Radoslav Kiskinov - The Shark

Последна промяна akulata на Нед Мар 20, 2011 12:45 pm, променена общо 3 пъти

Върнете се в началото
 Профил  

Заглавие:
МнениеПубликувано на: Чет Юни 09, 2005 10:08 am 
Forum Admin
Аватар

I am honoured to represent to you Steve Clark

Изображение

When did you start to fly fish and how?

I have been a fisherman since I was about 3 years old, back then though I used a spinning rod like most other kids. It wasn’t till I was about 17/18 years old that I picked up my first fly rod. It was after my grandfather passed away that my father and I were in his house cleaning when I came across his old 1950’s fiberglass heddon fly rod. That summer I started learning how to fly cast and fly fish and I never looked back, I’ve never looked at fishing the same way since that summer and fly fishing has been a huge part of my life for the past 15 years.

What are the conditions of flyfishing in your place, where you live?

I am extremely lucky to live where I do. I live in Michigan in the United States, Michigan is surrounded by water on 3 sides known as The Great Lakes. These bodies of water are home to a huge number of fish as well as variety of species of fish. Many of these fish such as the Chinook salmon, Coho salmon, Lake run brown trout and Steelhead run up the rivers that flow into the Great Lakes to spawn in the spring and fall. So that gives me a chance to catch 25-30pound salmon in small 30ft wide streams on a fly rod.

Изображение

We also have some of the best trout fishing to be found in the USA. Rivers such as the Au Sable, Manistee, and Pere Marquette are beautiful streams that are full of browns&rainbow trout with some that reach up to 30 inches. Plus we have a thriving population of warm water fish as well.

Which fish species do you flyfish?

fly fish mainly for brown&rainbow trout, Steelhead and Chinook Salmon, but this year I am also planning on doing a lot of Smallmouth bass and Pike fishing as well. I have a trip planned in July where I will hopefull land my first fly rod Northern Pike

What is the equipment you use for flyfishing – for the rod, reel and line?

I have a number of rods, reels and lines. Most of them are a variety of brands such as Winston and Sage for my rods, and Harris, Ross and Reddington for my reels. I have begun to build my own fly rods just within the last year and I currently have 2 more rods in the works that I’m working on right now. I feel that the quality of blanks that are available to a rod builder today enable me to build the same action and quality rod as some of the top brands, only at ¼ the cost.

Far as reels, I am not particularly set on one brand of reel when it comes to a trout reel. But when It comes to my large game (salmon) reel I stick with a brand called Harris. They make a rock solid reel with a very impressive disc drag system that slows these large 30 pound salmon without much trouble.

Where do you prefer go flyfishing, to rivers or to lakes, ponds?

I am strictly a river fisherman. There are a number of lakes&pond around me, actually the state I live in (Michigan) there is not a single place in the state that is more than 7 miles from a lake or pond. So you would think I fish Stillwater also, but to me there is just something about rivers that I love. The moving water, the ever changing flow of water and current, the sights and the sounds of the river, I guess you could say they just touch my heart like still water cant do.

Which types of flies/dries, nymphs…/ do you use when fishing?

We have a great deal of insect life and hatches here on our rivers so I use a very wide variety of flies.

Изображение

I usually start out the day using streamers when there is no hatch in progress during the morning hours. Then I will switch to a nymph about late afternoon when the insects are starting to let go of the rocks to emerge to the surface to hatch.

Изображение

Then in the evening the hatches will be underway and I will use an appropriate dry fly to imitate the naturals that are hatching.

We have a huge number of hatches here but some of the better ones that seem to bring the bigger fish to he surface are….

Hendricksons
Brown Drakes
Grey Drakes
Hex
White fly (ephoron leukeon)

You make very interesting flies. How and when did you begin tying flies, and which are your the most favorite?

Actually started tying flies about 12 years ago but didn’t get into tying really seriously till just about 3 years ago.

Изображение

I would tie a little every once in awhile back then, mainly just to replenish my fly boxes or for an upcoming trip but never as something that I really did regularly. Then about 3 years ago I really started to get interested in fly tying and I saw a huge improvement in my tying.

So now I have converted an area of my house to a tying area, and I tie probably about 3-4 nights a week for about 1-3 hours per session. Mostly working on filling my fly boxes and then I will experiment on new patterns once my boxes are full.

What do you think about the realistic flies, can you compare them with the other flies in their efficiency?

Изображение

I have a great deal of respect for people that can tie a realistic fly. One of the best realistic fly tier’s I know is Graham Owen. Graham can tie certain patterns that look so realistic that you would not be able to tell the difference between one of his flies and the real creature unless the real one moved. I believe Graham puts as much as six hours or more into some of his realistic patterns just to tie one, that’s something I just don’t think I could do though.

I believe the realistics would be great fishing flies, but the fact that they take such a great deal of time to tie just doesn’t make them something that would be a wise choice for “fishing” flies. They are a true art form in my eyes though.

What do you know about the flyfishing in Bulgaria?

I wish I could say I know a good deal about fishing in other parts of the world besides where I live, but the fishing in my area keeps me busy. Most of the information I get on fishing in other parts of the world I get from being a part of fly fishing websites.

The internet has made gaining knowledge so much easier for this generation, I just wish I was able to access this much information when I was growing up. So far all the information I have learned about fishing in Bulgaria and other parts of the world has been from reading fishing reports from people such as Rado that I have become friends with through internet fishing sites.

Which are your favorite flyfishing/tying/ sites in the Internet?

I am very much an active part of the fly fishing internet community. I help run a trio of fishing websites as well as another website that caters to fisherman world wide.

The trio of websites that I help run are called flytyingforum.com, talkflyfishing.com, and rodbuildingforum.com.

Those three sites cover the three main aspects of fly fishing. Which are fly tying, fly fishing and rod building.

The other website that I help run is a bit different than the three I just mentioned. That website is called Globalfisher.com.

Globalfisher.com is unique in the fact that is not just a site dedicated to one style of fishing or one area of the world, but rather it embraces all style/methods of fishing no matter if it’s fly fishing, spin fishing, bait casting or trolling. Plus every species on Globalfiser.com gets the same recognition no matter if it’s a trout or a carp. The other nice thing about that site is the fact that it’s a site for people from all over the world, hence the name “Global” fisher. It’s a great community for learning about fishing in other parts of the world.

All of the sites mentioned are wonderful sites and I can find about any piece of fishing related information I could want between the four of them.

Do you share the idea for catch and release?

I would say yes. I have nothing against keeping a few fish for the table (I love the taste) but in the area I live releasing a fish to fight another day helps to keep the population of fish strong since many rivers are wild fish.

What is for you the flyfishing and what make it different from the other types of fishing?

I enjoy all type of fishing and I still do a decent amount of spin fishing, but fly fishing is something that I do the majority of the time. To me fly fishing is just a style of fishing that is filled with history. It comes from a time when it was a very respected method of taking a trout and I believe that it still is a style of fishing that takes a great deal of patience and skill.

Изображение

I find a peace with myself and with my soul when I’m fly fishing that I don’t get from a spinning rod. It’s hard to explain, but fly fishing on a river is the one thing in my life that I can do alone, without feeling lonely.

What would you like to say to those who are just about to begin flyfishing?

Take your time, have patience, and try to meet someone that already knows how to fly fish and make friends with them.

Learning to cast, learning about hatches&insects, learning to mend your line, pick the proper fly, proper leader, knowing how to read the water to find the fish.…those are all things that you “can” learn from books, video tapes, or TV fishing shows, but there is still no substitute for “hands on” training.

I had no one to teach me how to fly fish when I first started, so I believe that it took me much longer to get to where I am today than it should have.

I have been fly fishing for 15 years now so I am happy with my accomplishments, but I believe I could have got to the point I’m at now a lot faster if I had someone to help me in the beginning. So find someone that has some experience in fly fishing and be a good student by listening to what they have to share with you.

Tight Lines!

Special thanks to Steve Clark for the interview he gave me and best regards!

Radoslav Kiskinov - The Shark

Върнете се в началото
 Профил  

Покажи мненията от миналия:  Сортирай по  
Напиши нова тема Темата е заключена, не можете да променяте мнения.  [ 2 мнения ] 

Часовете са според зоната UTC + 2 часа